21 Apr Canonical Launches Ubuntu 16.04 LTS with 5 years Support
Good news for Ubuntu users.!! Linux firm Canonical has launched the latest version of its popular Ubuntu Linux distribution, Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus). It comes with new features such as the new Mitaka version of the OpenStack cloud framework, the ZFS high-end file system from Solaris, and updated version of its LXD secure container technology.
It was launched on 21st April. The Ubuntu 16.04 LTS operating system has been in development for the past six months, like any other Ubuntu release.
“Xenial Xerus is the sixth Long Term Support release for Ubuntu. It marks the first time the platform is supported on mainframes, making it one of the world’s largest and most powerful Linux systems”, the company said.
The Ubuntu 16.04 LTS new features will provide faster and simple software delivery and operations. Okay, now let’s check some of the best features of this os.
The Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Features
- Improves performance and speed of the os using LXD.
- It supports ZFS-on-Linux, a combination volume manager, and file system: Enables efficient snapshots, continuous integrity checking against data corruption, copy-on-write cloning, automatic filesystem repair, and data compression.
- It also supports CephFS, a distributed filesystem: Provides an ideal platform for large-scale enterprise storage for cluster computing on open technology.
- Support the operation of workloads using containers in an OpenStack cloud based on Ubuntu.
- It is coming with five years of stellar support from Canonical.
How to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus)?
Are you using Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and want to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS? We will help you for this question. So, if you want to upgrade this then you need to follow some steps. Just go through below steps for the upgradation.
- First, you have to fire up the “Software & Updates” utility from the Unity Dash (search it and click on it)
- Go to the “Updates” tab, and make sure that the “Notify me of a new Ubuntu version” setting is set to “For long-term support versions.”
- Close the “Software & Updates” dialog and open update manager in the Unity command box.
- Then it prompts you with a notification that a “New distribution release ‘16.04 LTS’ is available.”
- On the respective window, click on the “Upgrade” button and follow the on-screen instructions.
The upgradation takes a long time to complete. When it is complete, you’ll be prompted to reboot your computer. Then you can enjoy the new Ubuntu 16.04 LTS (Xenial Xerus) operating system with five years of support. You can download Ubuntu 16.04 LTS OS here.